Sunday 21 February 2021

The Holy Spirit Teaches Us All Things

Without the Holy Spirit we would not be overcomers in Christ Jesus!

In John chapter 14 we find Jesus talking to his disciples and telling them that he would soon be leaving them. Now reading between the lines of this chapter I sort of detect that the news of Jesus leaving them has made them more than a little bit nervous and has scared them somewhat, as he says to them, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”

The Lord tells the disciples that he is going back to the Father but that he would come back to fetch them. And he goes on to tell them not to worry about his departure from the world because he is going to ask the Father to send them the Comforter, the Helper, the Holy Spirit who will teach them all things and lead them in all truth.


Now the Greek word for comforter used in verse 16 is ‘parakletos’ (pronounced paraklaytos) and its full meaning besides comforter is: advocate, helper, the one who draws alongside us, consoler and intercessor. So here we see that the Holy Spirit is everything one could ask for and more. He is our advocate and advisor, he helps us to complete our God-given purpose, he is there to console us and see us through difficult times, and he is our intercessor and continually prays to the Father for us just as Jesus does.

From verses 15 to 31 in the table below I will attempt to explain, verse by verse, just how much we need the Holy Spirit as believers and just how, like Jesus, it is absolutely necessary for us to allow the Holy Spirit to permeate every aspect of our beings and in all that we do in our daily lives. But please remember that my words are fallible – the Word of God is not!

John 14:15-31 (NIV)
15. “If you love me, keep my commands.

In this verse love here is the agape love of God that expects nothing in return. We can only appropriate this kind of love in its full measure through the power of the Holy Spirit living in us. We have a direct connection to God through the Holy Spirit alive within us. It is the Holy Spirit who regenerates our spirit and as such we are to follow the commands of Jesus. This means living according to His Word – the Bible. Every born-again Christian’s life-manual. Know the Word = know Jesus = know the Holy Spirit = know God = a changed me, a good and faithful servant of the Lord!

16. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—

Here Jesus is saying to his disciples (and to us today) that when he is gone, he will ask the Father to give them/us another Comforter and He shall give them/us the Holy Spirit who will live within them/us for ever. It is also interesting to note here that Jesus says that the Father will send another Comforter – Jesus being the first, somebody just like him with all His characteristics who will live within them/us for ever. The Holy Spirit in us is how Jesus lives in each one of us.

17. the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Here Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of truth. The Greek word here for truth is ‘aletheia’ (a-lay-thi-a) and its full definition is: truth, but not merely truth as spoken; truth of idea, reality, sincerity, truth in the moral sphere, divine truth revealed to man, straightforwardness (ref: Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance 225). This is the truth that is God’s and that He wants us to have and we will only have if we have the Holy Spirit living and working in us and through us. Jesus says that the world does not know the Holy Spirit only those that belong to him will know the Holy Spirit.

18. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Here Jesus again reassures us that he will not leave us alone, but he will be with us always through his Holy Spirit until he comes again! The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Jesus.

19. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.

Jesus assures all believers that even though he is no longer with us in the flesh we can still see him in the spirit. Our spirits are alive and connected to him by the Holy Spirit.

20. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Here the Lord gives us a word picture of how it is the Holy Spirit that connects him to the Father and us to him and through him we are connected to the Father. And through the Holy Spirit all believers are connected to each other, the same spirit is in all of us – God’s Holy Spirit!

21. Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Jesus states here that those that keep his commands (the teachings of the Bible) are the ones who truly love him and as a result of this we will be loved by the Father. It is through this cycle of God’s agape love that the Holy Spirit reveals Christ to the believers. Those that love Jesus truly from the heart are those that keep his commands – the Bible – Jesus is the Word! The Word is the sword of the Spirit!

22. Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”

23. Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

The answer to Judas’ question is of course through the Holy Spirit being alive within us. Through the Father’s agape love emanating from the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) to us and us loving Jesus in the same way, provides a channel by which the Holy Trinity will live within our hearts. The conduit and connection is through the Holy Spirit – spirit speaks to spirit.

24. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

If we do not love Jesus, we will not obey his teachings in the Bible. Our disobedience is sin!

25. “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

In these two verses the Lord tells us that when he has gone and the Holy Spirit comes upon us, he will come in the name of Jesus and will teach us all things and he will also remind us of what Jesus has already said, that is he will remind us of what is in the Word – remembering of course that Jesus is the Word in flesh.

27. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Jesus is saying here that because he has sent the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, to us we will have peace of mind and we need not be afraid of anything.

28. “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

Here I believe that Jesus is telling us as modern-day believers that although he is not with us in the flesh we can still rejoice because he is with us in spirit once we are born-again and have the infilling of the Holy Spirit – we should be joyful that he is with the Father because the Father is greater than Jesus in the flesh.

29. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.

Jesus is telling the disciples what is about to happen, his betrayal and crucifixion, so that when it does happen, they will believe it!

30. I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, 31. but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

Jesus is telling us that the Devil, the prince of the world, is coming in the guise of Judas’ kiss of betrayal. Jesus is also telling us that the Devil has no hold over him and He loves the Father completely and is completely obedient to the Father. It was the Father’s command that Jesus should suffer and die for our sins, and because of His great love (agape) he is going to the cross willingly so that we might live! Amen! Thank you, Jesus!

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, in Jesus’ name, I pray that you would fill me with your Holy Spirit and keep on filling me. Lead me in all truth, Holy Spirit, and teach me all things, that my lifestyle would be such that in all I do, I will bring glory to the name of Jesus my Saviour. Lead me on the path of righteousness and let me not go astray. Lead me on the path that the Father has willed for my life. Lead me on the path of obedience to your Word, Father. Bless me, Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others. Protect me from the evil one, Lord Jesus. Amen.

To Jesus belongs all glory, honour and praise!

Jesus, the Name above all names!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment