Saturday 19 September 2020

Getting to know the Holy Spirit: The Fruit of the Spirit - Part 1 What did Jesus teach on Fruit?

Paul’s letter to the Galatian Church in chapter 5 of the Book of Galatians speaks to us about life in the Spirit and tells us about the fruit of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit. Now where did this concept of fruit originate? Well it originated with the teachings of Jesus of course when he was leading and teaching his disciples and preaching to the Jewish people.

But one of the first teachings on fruit came through John the Baptist who we all know was filled with the Holy Spirit from when he was in his mother’s womb (Luke 1:15). John’s word on fruit went like this:

Matthew 3:7-10 (NLT)

But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming to watch him baptize, he denounced them. “You brood of snakes!” he exclaimed. “Who warned you to flee the coming wrath? Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. 10 Even now the ax of God’s judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.

This was a harsh word to the religious leaders of the day – repent and start producing good fruit, or you end up in hell!

Jesus is our focal point and the reason why we exist as born-again Christians. Everything we are and everything we do should be done to ensure that we become His imitators – to be conformed to His image day by day. We can’t do this unless we are Spirit filled, obedient to His every word and loving our neighbours as we love ourselves!

In the book of John, we will find the most significant teaching Jesus gave on the bearing of fruit in our lives that we will be able to find in the Bible. Let’s examine the Lord’s teachings on fruit before we actually move into Paul’s teaching in Galatians.

Jesus, the True Vine

John 15:1-7 (NIV)

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[cleans] so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Let’s do an analysis of the above eight verses to try and emphasise the importance of what we are being told.

1I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.       

Jesus is the source of our salvation and through Him we receive all that God has for us. God the Father lovingly tends and nurtures us through Jesus as a gardener tends a garden. We are connected to God through Jesus and His Holy Spirit.

2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[cleans] so that it will be even more fruitful.         

If we don’t bear good fruit, then it is God (the gardener) that cuts us off! When we are bearing good fruit, God prunes us – this can be quite painful at times – so that we will produce more fruit.

3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.   

We are cleansed from our sin by the Word and work of Jesus on the Cross. Jesus is the Word.

4Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

We must stay connected to Jesus (keep your eyes on Him) because without Him we can do nothing, and we will not bear good fruit.

5I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  

Repeat of the previous verse. Jesus emphasizing the importance of remaining in Him and Him alone.

6If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.        


If we don’t remain in Him, we will be cut off and end up in hell.

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.                                       

When we remain in Jesus, our voice (prayers) is heard by God through Jesus and the Holy Spirit interceding on our behalf.

This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.                                               

When we bear much fruit, we prove that we are Jesus’ disciples, doing this is to the glory of the Father and Jesus the Son!

A very strong word from the Lord about remaining in Him and bearing good fruit and the consequences if we do not! 

TO JESUS BELONGS ALL GLORY, HONOUR AND PRAISE!

Next week: What kind of Fruit will last?

An extract from my book: Fan Into Flame: Life in the Spirit available on Paperback:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1798692120

No comments:

Post a Comment